Monday, January 28, 2013

The Art of Hey Ocean! (part 1)

Dear Muse,

First of all, I want to make a few things clear about my newfound appreciation for the Canadian indie pop band Hey Ocean!




  • No, my interest doesn't stem from a My Little Pony infatuation. 
  • Yes, I'm aware that the band's lead singer, Ashleigh Ball, voices Rainbow Dash and Applejack in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. I don't care. I admire her because she's an awesome vocalist and flutist, not because she's a great voice actress. 
  • I have no plans to ever see the show (and learning that the trope has spawned several web-cyclopedias of internet memes makes me want to see it even less).


                                                                                                                                   Source: purpletinker.deviantart.com via Ariel on Pinterest

























Now that that's explained, let me tell you why I do love the band. Simply put: I think it's cute, and its songs are poetic in a Joni Mitchell kind of way.

Granted, I don't feel this way about the songs on all of their albums. Their first album (Stop Sounding Like Music) was forgettable, and I only liked two songs from their second album (It's Easier to Be Somebody Else). But I like almost everything about their newest album, IS (especially "Big Blue Wave").


Sing until you have no voice.
Sing because you have no choice.
Sing until you float away.
Our love is like a big blue wave.
             - "Big Blue Wave" 


Another striking thing about Hey Ocean! is its music videos. They can be artsy or surreal, atmospheric or just plain weird. I've picked four videos that will show you what I mean. However, I'm going to spread them across two days so that I don't overwhelm you. The first two songs are attached below.


A note about the songs:

The Youtube videos that I'm sharing with you aren't necessarily my favorite Hey Ocean! songs. 
They're just the most memorable ones.  



Two Unique Hey Ocean! Songs


1. "Fish" (It's Easier to Be Somebody Else)

This song isn't one of the two I liked from the album, but I admire the filmwork. It almost looks like a nice reel for some commercial, doesn't it?

Watch out for the fish pun. 






2. "Too Soon" (It's Easier to Be Somebody Else)

Speaking of curious - or, "curiouser and curiouser" - the video for "Too Soon" is kind of like a dream Alice in Wonderland would have as an adult. Or like fantastic flashes in and out of the narrator's mind. The A part is pretty enough (if you don't mind glaring sunlight), but I like the B part best. 





                                                                     Ride the wave into tomorrow!
                                                                                        Ariel 



No comments:

Post a Comment